A Travellerspoint blog

Day 9

Cardiff to Waterford

large_SAM_0536.jpg We woke to overcast conditions with intermittent light misty rain and a temperature in the mid-teens. We had a room with a queen bed and a folding sofa bed. Our room was full with Bronwyn & David joining us around 1am after driving from London.
After checking out we drove into the city and past Cardiff Castle. We parked in a small underground car park next to the Rugby stadium. A game was scheduled for later in the day and Welsh fans adorned in red and white were already in the area in preparation for their game against the Barbarians. We walked to a local café and ate breakfast. We then drove back to the hotel, said goodbye to David and headed for Fishguard to catch the ferry to Rosslare in Ireland.
Traffic was a major problem with several areas where traffic was barely moving. At one point we had all but given up being able to make the ferry ahead of its departure. When opportunities presented themselves we tested the performance capabilities of the Vauxhall Insignia. We travelled at hoon like speeds where possible in what appeared to be a futile attempt to reach the ferry before it departed. Check in time for the ferry was 1.30pm. We arrived about 1.57pm and there were just 4 or 5 cars left to be checked in. Fortunately they let us on and we breathed a huge sigh of relief. If we missed it we would have forfeited our accommodation for that night and had to re-book for the 2am ferry that night.
The weather had improved on the journey to Fishguard and with occasional sunny breaks the temperature reached 23 degrees. Seas were slight on the ferry and the boat had just the occasional slow movement although nothing much to worry about. We booked the premium service on the boat. That entitled us to a lounge area with complimentary wine, tea and coffee and snacks. It also gave us priority disembarkation.
The weather changed on the 3.5 hour trip to Rosslare and it was drizzling by the time we got off the boat. The intensity of the rain increased as time passed. We stopped en route to Waterford for dinner at a pub called the Horse and Hound. We arrived at our hotel in a downpour. The hotel car park was full. We all got wet getting the cases into the hotel and Ian got very wet as he parked the car about 3 blocks away and had to walk back. The room was warm and dry and although basic it was comfortable enough.

Posted by IanDarleneUK 00:47

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint